Almost every personal shopping client I've had says the same thing to me: "I don't do yellow." This of course means that I will have them wearing yellow in one form or another by the end of the appointment. :-) It can be tricky for some skin tones, but please don't count this color out completely. Some tips:
- Think of yellow as a close cousin of brown (it's less ominous that way). My shoes are yellow in this picture, for example, but they don't look that different from my brown belt.
- Wear it away from your face. A yellow belt, shoes, or bottom - all way easier to pull off than a yellow top and I would recommend those pieces to anyone no matter your skin tone.
- Want to take the plunge with a yellow top? Not all shades are created equal. Different yellows work for different skin tones, so try a few on and find one that works for you. Yellows that are mustard and therefore closer to brown are usually the safest bet.
- Yellow is one of my favorite colors because it goes with everything. It is the ultimate pop of color in an outfit and will liven up your closet.
Do you wear yellow? Why or why not?
Inspiration: Drowning Equilibriums
Skirt: J.Crew, $45 click "Petite" to shop sunflower color
Belt: Gap, $10
Necklace: H&M, $18 (similar)
Shoes: Bandolino/TJ Maxx, $22Watch: Michael Kors, family gift
Ring: My Stella & Dot website $49
Bracelets: My Stella & Dot website $49 and $32 and $59
1. J.Crew skirt, $69.50 click "Petite" to shop this color
2. Piperlime skirt, $29.99
3. Calvin Klein skirt, $49.99