March 14, 2012

Today's Everyday Fashion: SXSW Recap

How I planned to wear it






































As you guys know, I recently embarked on a crazy 8-day adventure to Austin, TX. I got to do some amazing, cool stuff. Here are some highlights and a recap of what I wore!

Dress: Forever 21, $20 (similarsimilar)
Scarf: c/o Happy Scarf, $24
Belt: Gap, $10
Boots: Grifter c/o Chinese Laundry, $149
Sandals: Diba from Nordstrom Rack, $40
Leather jacket: Banana Republic, $150
Cardigan: Gap, $18
Purse: Calvin Klein from TJ Maxx, $120
Rings: LOFT pink stone ring $11, My Stella & Dot website $49
Watch: Michael Kors, family gift
Bracelets: My Stella & Dot website, $59 and My Stella & Dot website $49

How I actually wore it


TxSC panel



1. Speaking at Texas Style Council. First let's talk about my favorite outfit of the week, this mint number above. When Indiana learned that I was going to be in Austin for SXSW, she asked me to be on a panel at TxSC on "blogging lessons learned." I didn't pack the ideal outfit to wear to a fashion blogging conference (I was already on the road when we scheduled it) so while I love this outfit in general, I definitely would have chosen a pencil skirt or something dressy if given my whole closet to choose from! :-) I was beyond honored to be on the panel with Jen, Elizabeth, Kyla, and Molly and wish I could've attended more of this awesome conference with 200+ stylish women!

Outfit for day #2 of our roadtrip

Day #1 of our road trip - collecting art from the Orlando classroom

Visiting a classroom in Tallahassee

Team pit stop in New Orleans


2. Roadtrip with Chevy. Backing up a little - let's talk about how this whole trip got started! Chevy asked me to be a team captain for SXSW this year, meaning my team and I road-tripped in a (super-comfy) Tahoe from Florida to Austin and back - all to raise money for Adopt-A-Classroom. These are two of my roadtrip outfits above. The classroom visits to see the kids were the highlight of this trip! You can see more pictures on our team website here. We raised more than $1000 and I couldn't be more proud.

Chevy welcome party

What I wore day #2 of the conference

3. Attending SXSW. Beyond the road trip, Adopt-A-Classroom, and TxSC I also attended 2 days of SXSW, which is the largest social media conference in the US (more than 30,000 people attend). This was a total dream come true for a marketing nerd like me. (I gotta be honest, SXSW is way more up my alley than NY Fashion Week!!) When we got to Austin, we were treated like royalty by Chevy and got to attend tons of different events such as speakers and panels during the day, and parties and networking at night. (I also hung out with three of my sorority sisters who live in Austin - so fun catching up!) The weather was freezing cold and wet, so I lived in these boots. I wore the mint green dress outfit on Sunday, the above outfit above on Saturday, and on Friday I improvised an outfit with these boots (my only close-toe shoes) tucked into jeans, with an ivory top and the same leather jacket. (When I checked the weather before we left, it was vastly different than when we showed up 3 days later! So glad I brought a jacket and boots just in case!)

I'm exhausted and glad to be back! :-) Thanks to everyone who donated to Adopt-A-Classroom and followed our team journey!

(Photos are c/o of Jen and Meghann.)

44 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had an amazing time - love the combination of colors you chose to wear for SXSW!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pam@Over50feeling40March 14, 2012 at 9:04 AM

    Your outfit looked great on stage and I think was just perfect for the panel...you did an excellent job and looked fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the outfit was perfect for SXSW! Love the colors together. I see you went with the high heeled boots. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You were a green goddess! I sketched you -- check your email!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the mint green dress!!! And thanks for the post on Austin. My husband and I are flying down there in May for a work thing. We've always wanted to go and I can't wait!
    Niki
    www.fashionatforty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are by far the best dressed panelist in that pic.  Honestly the other 3 look ridiculous. 

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how much brown you incorporated into your outfits! All of these outfits are adorable and that leather jacket sure goes with everything! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I actually love the teal dress you wore to the SXSW conference!!!

    xoxo,
    Di

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE your dress from Forever 21, such a gorgeous color, especially paired with a nude jacket and boots! Love your gray dress as well! You looked stunning, looks like a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the sketch Anne, thank you!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pam, thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Holy Nick C!!!! How did one of my favorite fashion bloggers and my favorite social media butterfly end up on the same road trip!!!!?????

    ReplyDelete
  13. I grew up in Texas, but now I am a transplant to central Florida. We have a saying back home, If you don't like the weather in Texas, wait five minutes. It changes dramatically and frequently! The mint dress is beautiful! I will have to add this color to my closest. It is not always easy to find a particular color or shape of clothing, though. I usually won't buy retail so finding specifics at resale shops is hard. But the hunt is fun and the financial reward is worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi J - I love the gray dress where did you get it?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you! Here is the link to that original post: http://www.jseverydayfashion.com/2012/03/todays-everyday-fashion-which-boots.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is too funny! As the team captain, I chose who I wanted on my team. As you said, Nick is a social media butterfly and was a great addition to the SXSW team! :-) I know him through several social media conferences here in Florida and mutual friends. Such a small world!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds like you had a great time at SXSW. I was reading Rachel Wilkerson's blog, who linked to Meg's blog, who linked to J's... which turned out to be yours! Small world :) I'm also loving the mint green dress paired with tan!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love how the scarf matches the dress.  Always feels like a bonus when you have separates that go together perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Okay, let's try this again...
    I adore the beautiful pendant necklace you have on for day 2 of your road trip. Where can I find one of those, or something comparable?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yay! It 'stuck' this time!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Chrissy, here is a link to the necklace on my Stella & Dot page! I absolutely adore this necklace. http://shop.stelladot.com/style/b2c_en_us/n228.html?s=jspage

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the look with the mint green dress!  While you may have wanted to wear something else to TxSC, I think you looked FABULOUS!  :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great job putting something to wear for the panel together at the last minute!  I probably would have freaked out and gone shopping :-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. J,

    It was so great to be on a panel with you at TxSC! I loved your mint-and-brown look in person!

     
    Keep in touch!
    Molly

    ReplyDelete
  25. nice color combo!
    work-it-blog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. I like your casual outfit pic with the jeans, leather jacket and statement necklace. The pic looks very paparazzi! : )

    http://allthingsprettyandlittle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  27. OMG! I wanted to go to TxSC, but I didn't go. If I knew you were going to be a speaker, I would have surely made the trip!

    Janell
    www.fashionableyoubyj,blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. That is the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me, lol. Thank you Janell! It was totally last minute, otherwise I would've given you guys a heads up! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thank you! That pic cracks me up - definitely looks paparazzi somehow.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Molly, thank you! You were such a great moderator and it was great meeting you!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I thought about freaking out and turning the car around so I could get something else from my closet, lol! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  32. So sweet, thank you Audrey!

    ReplyDelete
  33. You have no idea, J! I've been addicted to your blog since 2010 :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. The Kraft Caramel color of your leather jean jacket simply (always) looks *incredible* with your skin tone, J.;  and I honestly can't............ even THINK of a color that WOULDN'T then look nice with your leather jacket!!    You're drop-dead-gorgeous in your mint dress, too, by the way!!

    Raising more than $1000 for for Adopt-A-Classroom is really............ gratifying and *SUPER*-COOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Very small! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love the tribal print dress in the second to last pic.  Must know where to find!!!  

    ReplyDelete
  37. I got that tribal dress from one of my favorite online boutiques - McAuley's! The brand is Aryn K and I got it about 6 months ago. http://www.shopmcauleys.com/

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hey J! Huge fan of that top outfit, I'm loving mint this season too! I was wondering if you know what the name of that Dibi sandal is though. I've been looking for it everywhere and cannot seem to find it. Thanks so much, Jess

    ReplyDelete
  39. Thank you! I haven't ever been able to find those sandals online - I got them last summer and they didn't come with a box so I don't have a style name, either. Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Thank you so much Rosanna!

    ReplyDelete
  41. i simply like this week of fashion the dress what she wearing in first looks its very nice and may be its a audition but she just rock.

    replica
    handbags

    ReplyDelete
  42. that's a great outfit! you look great in mint and bright colours

    ReplyDelete